Writing the Good Read

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Best Book We've Read in Years

My husband and I, in the early years, rarely read the same books. Where I favored classics and modern literature, he maintained a steady diet of sci-fi. I married, happily, a reader. It would be impossible for me to happily grow old with someone who didn't understand my passion for books. We can spend hours reading in a room together, perfectly happy to share our love of the written word.

It has only been in the last few years that we began to read the some of the same books, enjoy the same authors. Now, granted, there are still categories of non-crossover; pink-covered chick lit books he won't touch; hardcore sci fi I have no interest in trying.

Last week he said, "This is the best book I've read in the last several years." He left the book for me to read when I was ready. I picked it up in the next couple of days and last night, I finished it. The book is The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. It is amazing. That's all I'm going to say about it, you just have to read it. It is the best book I've read in years, as well.

When I finished, I glanced at the back cover and was slayed by the fact that it's the author's first novel. You'll see what I mean.

1 Comments:

At 10:19 PM, Blogger David Brown said...

I love to read and always have a book or 2 or 3 going. I've been meaning to get to The Kite Runner but havent yet.

Best thing I've read all year is Robert Sapolsky, A Primate's Memoir. Try it.

David

 

Post a Comment

<< Home