Writing the Good Read

Friday, July 21, 2006

Learning to Write

I have been very fortunate. While living in St. Louis, I had the experience of learning from a number of great writers. In school, I learned from Kirk Curnutt, Mary Troy, Jerry Harp, Bob Earleywine and George Hickenlooper, Sr. (yes, the father of the famous filmmaker). Although they were not formally my teachers, I've also had the opportunity to learn from Jason Sommer and Wayne Fields.

My father was my first writing teacher, ever encouraging me to read, write and try. When I was in college, my dad took his first stab at writing a play. I remember this clearly as I was in Prof. Hickenlooper's class, struggling unsuccessfully with my own screenplay. Today, just 11 or 12 years later, Dad is an accomplished playwright.

Recently, Dad, in his sixties-plus (he's a very young 71) attended the Iowa Writers' Workshop (well, one of the shorter, summer programs, anyway). Again, doing what I've always wanted to do. I put my seething jealousy aside long enough to hear about the program, how great it was, how helpful the instruction, how cool Iowa City is, how much he got out of it, etc.

I really want to go. I'm looking ahead to the next few years and would like to plan to attend. I'd love to hear from other grads of the program and get your thoughts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home