Writing the Good Read

Monday, July 17, 2006

Darling Delmar

When I was a senior in college, (a non-traditional commuter student with a five-year-old child, a full time job and a husband) I met a couple of guys who changed the course of my travels.

I was the editor of the school's literary magazine, The Griffin. Bob Earleywine, my writing teacher that semester, had suggested Steve Schreiner as guest reader for the event. Steve invited a couple of guys he knew to attend our school's annual reading, hosted by members of The Griffin's staff. That night, I met Jeff Hamilton and Scott McKelvie.

I remember being college coffee house captivated. The beer we drank at The Corner Bar after the reading induced an infatuation of sorts. I wanted to support everything these guys were doing. I wanted to be them when I grew up, whenever that might be. I wanted to roll around in whatever they were involved in. I wanted in.

Jeff and Scott are co-founders of Delmar, a St. Louis-based literary journal that has survived 11 print editions and now, has gone Web.

Soon after that meeting, and for many years after, when I had the time, (there was another child born, a career to begin) I devoted whatever public relations help I could, trying to help the St. Louis based literary journal gain readers, sell copies, publish another book. I met some incredible writers, went to (and helped organize) great readings that took place in neighborhoods all over St. Louis. It wasn't enough, but I always believed in what Delmar was doing and wanted to do. I still do.

Delmar is in a new phase of its life, persisting online. Take a look and perhaps you'll feel the same thrill I felt when I first met Scott and Jeff, over 11 years ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home