Writing the Good Read

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

On Teaching

I have held life long respect for teachers and the teaching profession. There are many teachers in my family and I've had the great fortune of having many great and memorable teachers at all levels of my education.

A few years ago, I was approached with the opportunity to teach a course in public relations at Fontbonne University. The teaching bug certainly bit that first semester, as I nervously stood before my first class of college juniors and seniors. Teaching what you know, while you're living it, helps. As a public relations and communications professional, I was able to share with the class my daily work life one night a week. As a crisis would unfold or a creative challenge presented itself, the class had a front-row seat watching and participating in real-life PR.

As part of the class I offered some advice. Communications is about networking and keeping in touch. Get to know people, develop relationships and commit to learning not just the craft, but about the people who practice it. I ended every semester with the promise that any student could get in touch with me ever after and I would do what I could to answer questions and help nurture them in their careers. Several, to my delight, have taken me up on the offer.

I had to give up teaching when we moved from St. Louis to Charlottesville and while I'm happy to regain the time, I sure miss it. This week, in particular.

Today, I heard from one of my students from last year's class. A gifted student, he was having trouble deciding his career path, plagued with too many choices and capabilities. He's working as an intern in a PR firm this summer and absolutely loves it. He closed the e-mail by thanking me for being a great teacher and a good friend.

This is why we teach.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home