Writing the Good Read

Thursday, January 11, 2007

When are you going to write a book?

One of the top questions I am asked and still have not learned to answer satisfactorily is, "so when are you going to write a book?"

Ugh. I wish I knew, or I wish I were almost done, or significantly started or god, finished and going on my book tour.

It's not unlike being a senior in college poised to graduate, having majored in the Random Analysis of Something No One Has Ever Cared About. Upon facing graduation, a person at this juncture with this course of study, or any course of study for that matter is inevitably asked, "so what are you going to do when you graduate."

I think my generation has wholly owned the lack of available responses to this question. As an English major on paper, but a Writing major in reality, I stared down this question a lot. My answer was always weak and a little whiny. "I just want to write."

I had three fears as I ended my formal education:
1. I would continue to be poor.
2. I would continue with a lifelong career in mall-based retail employment.
3. I would be bored at work.

Fortunately, although I had trouble articulating it to those posing The Question, I did know what I was doing when I petitioned my liberal arts private college to allow me to write my own major, call it Writing, take every course in every kind of writing available and supplement with several hours of Independent Study. I was preparing myself to be able to handle any kind of job or opportunity that required decent writing skills that might surface. While it seemed wacky, I'm sure, to my family and friends, I knew that the only way I would be happily employed is if whatever occupation I held included writing and lots of it.

I'm pleased to say that my job does include a satisfying amount of wordsmithing. There is always plenty of action going on so boredom very rarely occurs. I supplement the need to write with freelance writing on occasion and of course, the blog posts that help keep the creativity drip splish sploshing away.

When will I write the book? That's not really the question. The question is, when will I finish it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home